Thread: Entire drawing disappeared

Login to Give a bone

Default Entire drawing disappeared

I was working on a drawing on my home computer and was entering a new command and the entire drawing disappeared from the screen. I tried everything and could not get the drawing back. I was able to pull up other drawings, but not the one I was working on. I am using windows XP. I have been using this program for 15 years and never had rhis happen. I am at a loss as to why. I need to get my drawing back. Please help.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Entire drawing disappeared

You haven't given us much to go on. What was the new command? Did you try undo? If there was objects very far away from each other a zoom extents may appear as a blank screen. Has the drawing size changed at all? It should have been fine as long as you didn't save it. Even if you did save the drawing it's bak file should be OK. Was the drawing saved on your PC or accessed remotely?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    You haven't given us much to go on. What was the new command? Did you try undo? If there was objects very far away from each other a zoom extents may appear as a blank screen. Has the drawing size changed at all? It should have been fine as long as you didn't save it. Even if you did save the drawing it's bak file should be OK. Was the drawing saved on your PC or accessed remotely?
    1st I selected my file, GP7, 1017KB/open/Autocad alert (c:\documents and settings\compaq_administrator\my documents\locomotive drawings\gp7.dwg is currently in use by:compaq_administrator,your-4DACDOEA 75 Would you like to open the file read only (click yes) a message flashes on the screen and can't read it. Then a box appears stating "Autocad message" Audit detected no errors in recovered database/OK hatch boundary associativity removed. Tried "restore", but nothing but a blank screen. I don't recall what command I was using at the time. Everything happened so fast. I tried zoom, undo, etc. I found a BAK file, but when I opened it, it was still a blank screen.
    Last edited by Mr Ron; 2019-12-05 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Needed to add more info.

Login to Give a bone

post the drawing we we can look at it. what version of Acad are you running on the XP machine?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    post the drawing we we can look at it. what version of Acad are you running on the XP machine?
    Acad 2004. Can't post dwg as there is nothing to post; blank screen. What is the command that lists all the steps made during the drawing process? Maybe that can help me find where the error occured.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ron View Post
    Acad 2004. Can't post dwg as there is nothing to post; blank screen. What is the command that lists all the steps made during the drawing process? Maybe that can help me find where the error occured.
    You can still post the dwg file. Maybe you don't see the sense, but someone else might be able to recover it. You could try searching for the *.ac$ file in the %temp% folder and renaming the extension to dwg. Also, there is no command to display dwg history. The command window (F2) maintains the history only for the current session. Once you close the file, the history is lost.
    C:> ED WORKING....

Login to Give a bone

Maybe I can recover my drawing by scanning a copy and loading it back into Acad. If so, how do I go about doing it?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ron View Post
    Maybe I can recover my drawing by scanning a copy and loading it back into Acad. If so, how do I go about doing it?
    Do not attempt to open any more drawings under that folder!
    In over a quarter century of using AutoCAD I've never heard of a both a drawing and it's backup disappearing like this. Before you recreate the drawing you need to figure out what happened so it doesn't keep happening. What type of Antivirus software are you running? Norton had a bad reputation of working with AutoCAD though working on a file under that compaq_administrator folder that "gp7.dwg is currently in use by:compaq_administrator,your-4DACDOEA 75" error to pop-up might have been flagged by many brands of Antivirus software.

If the drawing file size still indicates something is there copy it to C:\DWG or something and try opening that after disabling your Antivirus software. If that works and you still don't see anything post the drawing file!

I'm not an IT guy but you've got something other than AutoCAD causing that issue.