Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UNKNOWN COMMAND - VARIOUS COMMANDS

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy UNKNOWN COMMAND - VARIOUS COMMANDS

Hi All,

I just upgraded to ACAD2009 a few weeks back, after having happily and productively beeing using ACAD2008 for over a year or so.

I have imported all my settings from ACAD2008, which includes network paths that reference locations for shared files on our server, by exporting my ACAD2008 profile as an "*.ARG" file. Since exporting your profile does not affect the PGP file, I had to then update ACAD2009's PGP manually, since I was not sure of compatibility of this file between the 2 versions.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 (32bit) on a HP Compaq 8710W workstation laptop, with a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo Intel Processor, 2GB DDRII RAM and a 250GB HDD.

I have only now started to need to use ACAD2009 since I am beginning a new project in the office.

Now I am getting "UNKNOWN COMMAND" for every second command I try. Initially I thought it was just the RECTANG command, but the more I try clicking on all my toolbars, I find more and more commands that give me the same error.

How do I resolve this, GLOBALLY?

I have seen posts that refer to checking the MACRO command for that particular command is correct, but the commands that are giving me hassles all have the correct Macros in the CUI.

So there is a definite discrepancy.

I was also advised to try and reload the ACAD.lsp or ACAD2009.lsp file, which was claimed to reset this problem, but however, the "APPLOAD" command also gives me the same "UNKNOWN COMMAND" error.

I have put off the idea of doing a complete reinstall of ACAD2009, since I believe it will not yield any results in this problem, judging by similar error messages in other posts.

Can anyone please point out what can solve this.

-OD-
    Last edited by odwa.noah; 2008-07-09 at 06:54 AM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: UNKNOWN COMMAND - VARIOUS COMMANDS

I assume the internal commands (Line, Circle, Move, Copy, etc) are working (or you would have mentioned them). So, it looks like externally defined commands (.arx etc) are not being found.
    Check all the support file paths again, you may have a mixture of A2008 and A2009 paths.
    Failing that, a reinstall may well be the quickest solution.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Jaberwock,

thanks for the response... I would rather try and do a reinstall and see if setting up everything manually with get me the result.

Will post again.

Regards,

-OD-

All AUGI, all the time Richard.Kent's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Could be the acad.mnl file. Do you find that on your harddrive? Did you replace it during the install?

Also, DEMANDLOAD should be set to 3.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Richard,

I just went and opted for a complete re-install of ACAD2009.

Everything is back to square 1 now, and I need to go through ALL my personalised settings manually now, in 2009, so as to avoid this happening again.

So I can say my problem is solved, but this was the long way around...

Thanks anyway for all the comments.

-OD-

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Richard.Kent View Post
    Could be the acad.mnl file. Do you find that on your harddrive? Did you replace it during the install?

Also, DEMANDLOAD should be set to 3.
    I know this is an older thread, but I had the same problem suddenly today with AutoCAD 2010; MText, Bedit, Refedit, Appload etc. commands gave the "unknown command" message. Basic commands like Line, circle, etc worked fine.

I did a repair and it solved nothing. I found this thread with Demandload mentioned, and sure enough, mine was set at 0. I changed it to 3 and all is fine. I had never heard of it before, and have know way of knowing how it suddenly got to 0.

Anyway, thanks Richard, it shows you that there is plenty of help in old threads!

Login to Give a bone

I have seen this related to a corrupt profile. Switch profiles, restart, and see if the commands work.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by scott.wilcox View Post
    I have seen this related to a corrupt profile. Switch profiles, restart, and see if the commands work.
    I recently upgraded to 2010 so I only have one custom profile, plus Vanilla. Both suddenly had the "unknown command" problem. Switching profiles from Vanilla to MyCustom solved the problem during the active session, but did not stay working after a restart. I tried this BEFORE finding out about Demandload.

I had to set Demandload to 0 while each of those profiles were active. The settings remained fine after shutdown and restart and switch back and forth.

BTW, the repair did NOT mess up any of my menu and other customizations.

Login to Give a bone

Make sure the path to the folder containing appload.arx in in the support path

probably something like: C:\Program files\AutoCAD 2010

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by scott.wilcox View Post
    Make sure the path to the folder containing appload.arx in in the support path

probably something like: C:\Program files\AutoCAD 2010
    What I meant was all my paths and everything else was fine. Demandload <3> solved the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast