Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit how do I generate overhead lines?

Login to Give a bone

Question Revit how do I generate overhead lines?

This thread over on the Spanish forum, has remained unanswered, although it seems like a fairly simple question.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhudtwalcker
    alguien sabe cómo configurar el Revit, para que me muestre las lineas de proyección de los elementos que están por encima de la línea de corte de la planta? las vigas, por ejemplo? o las ventanas altas??
    (If the on-line translator thing got it right.)
    Does somebody know how to configure Revit, so that it shows me the line of projection of the elements that are above the cutting plane of the plant? the beams, for example? or the high windows.
    Anybody?

I could stop if I wanted to whittendesigns's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit how do I generate overhead lines?

I just had a similar question about that not too long ago.

If you have a beam above a cut plane and below say your next levels structural layer, you have to edit your family to show some symbolic lines in plan view. You also have to attach something to the model (your beam for instance) like an invisible line that will extend through your cut plane. This alone will make your symbolic lines appear on the plan.

For the window I would suggest the same thing. Attach an invisible line in the family editor. Then create your symbolic lines as needed

Login to Give a bone

I believe that you can also get this to set itself up for most out of the box items by adjust the upper boundries of the view range, but I'm not sure. All I know is that I was wondering that my self and then I adjusted the view range above and the lines were there.

Login to Give a bone

By doing so you might start seeing things you don't want to see though (kinda like hallucinating!).

By editing the families and adding symbolic lines and the "invisible" vertical line referenced in the previous post, you're leaving everything where it is and making sure that if the cut plane slices through that vertical invisible line, that the symbolic lines appear in plan.

Login to Give a bone

This is a method that does not require messing up with view range or special work designing families.
    1. Change view Model Graphics style from Hidden Line to Wireframe. That should make the lines in question visible and selectable. Depending on where your overhead object is located you may also need to turn on underlay of a higher level.
    2. Use linework tool with a linestyle that you use for showing overhead elements and select edges that you want to show.
    3. Turn view display back to Hidden Lines. Edges that you selected for overhead display will continue showing as overhead.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks a lot Leonid, I didn't even know you could do that! This tells me that actually everything is "visible" in a view; some objects are just made invisible and Revit is just waiting for you to tell it otherwise. I've heard/seen methods such as locking symbolic lines to the actual overhead object, which works too but isn't as elegant. In the posted example, I set the view range such that the cut plane was above the beams first so they became visible, then used the linework tool and then re-set the view range to what it was before. If the overhead object was in another level, then just temporarily overlaying would have worked. Great tip.

There are instances when it's nice to just have objects show overhead automatically, such as openings in slabs or ceiling furr downs (or bulkheads) but with this method you have control over exactly what you show, while if you build it into the families you might have to use the linework tool anyway to turn some unwanted linework into invisible lines.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by dbaldacchino; 2006-11-26 at 07:19 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Welcome. By the way, this method also useful for showing beyond objects in elevations.

Login to Give a bone

That is a great idea. I normally use the underlay option in the properties dialogue box and set to floor over to show and then use the same linework tool to pick lines. Another way to show the outline of a floor over is to utilise tha area boundary lines in area analysis and copy them after you change the line type back into your floor plan. I have used this in floor framing and footing plans and if you need to show in more than one view, turn the lines into a group and paste aligned to selected views.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jason.104359
    I normally use the underlay option in the properties dialogue box and set to floor over to show and then use the same linework tool to pick lines.
    This is the way that I do it too. I always get a nice reaction when I show this little tip to the new guys in the office.

I could stop if I wanted to whittendesigns's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I am interested in finding out how this works for you because it is obviously a timesaver. I tried it on my current project and a test project. I couldn't get either to work. I have a beam set so the top is flush with the top of the wall on the first level. I have turned on the wireframe and I still can't see it. Any suggestions?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast