Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for school assignment

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Questions for school assignment

I would be very grateful if anyone would be willing to answer these questions. They are for an assignment in my AutoCAD class.

Please give your name, general location and profession.

How long have you been using AutoCAD?

When do you use CAD in the production process (i.e. preliminary design, design development, etc.)?

What types of standardization do you use?

What advantages or disadvantages does CAD bring to your practice.

Certifiable AUGI Addict robert.1.hall72202's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Questions for school assignment

I will be your first guinea pig.

For 15 years now.

When do you use CAD in the production process (i.e. preliminary design, design development, etc.)?
    Preliminary Design and for Production Process Maps

Unsure what this means? I have created my own company cad standards that
    are spefific to my field of work.

Ability to see how the product interacts with equipment before actually
    purchasing any components. Helps make important decisions easier.
    Helps to generate healthy discussions between team members on any given project.

I be Robert Hall, Detroit Michigan, Automotive Industry, Product Design Engineer.
    Last edited by Robert.Hall; 2006-01-31 at 05:56 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by karenabrown
    I would be very grateful if anyone would be willing to answer these questions. They are for an assignment in my AutoCAD class.

Please give your name, general location and profession. Brenda Richardson, Buffalo, NY, Senior Designer

How long have you been using AutoCAD? about 12 years

When do you use CAD in the production process (i.e. preliminary design, design development, etc.)? entire design process

What types of standardization do you use? We are currently developing our drafting standards, we have design standards, we have standard blocks, standard layers and text sizes, etc.

What advantages or disadvantages does CAD bring to your practice. It makes things a lot quicker, but you sometimes overlook things because it is so easy to copy things from one drawing to another.
    my answers in blue

Login to Give a bone

Please give your name, general location and profession. Kenneth Leary, Orlando, FL. Aviation Designer

How long have you been using AutoCAD? 14 years.

When do you use CAD in the production process (i.e. preliminary design, design development, etc.)? Planning, Preliminary and final design.

What types of standardization do you use? CAD standards manual, standard templates, etc.

What advantages or disadvantages does CAD bring to your practice. Streamlined production and reduced editing time, increased ability to share design information.

Answers are in blue.

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Brian Myers, St Louis, Missouri - Residential Designer

I've been using AutoCAD for 17 years.

I use AutoCAD in pretty much all phases of the design/construction document process, but I'll sometimes do sketching on paper during the prelim as well.

I use my own set of standards, but they stay the same no matter what project I work on. I keep it as simple as possible.

If you have to ask what advantages CAD brings then you've never done an entire project by hand. From speed to problem solving, the use of CAD has simply changed the way we do our work.

I could stop if I wanted to de-co1's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Blue as well...

- David Russell, Scotland, Senior Design Technologist (Architecture)

- just over 10 years

- For conceptual design, spatial design and development, presentation, and typical submission and working drawings... and it gives me an excuse to come into AUGI

- Have previously developed standards for a couple of offices, but currently using a different set in current office - pertaining to drawing numbering, layering systems, plotting, and typical practice procedures related to the ACAD work.

- ADVANTAGES ~ what everyone else says.

- DISADVANTAGES ~ What everyone else says, but also cost implications for smaller practices, and the inability to keep up with new releases, thereby making one's personal improvement more difficult in terms of moving on. Furthermore, junior staff are taught on PC, and not drawing board, and therefore never really learn the true essence of what working drawings are about.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Stephen Jarosak, Souther Vermont, Cad manager/Drafter / Architecture

As a job for 12 Years

Through all the phases (Schematic Design, Design Development, Construction Documents, and Construction Administration) at my old office in the DC Metro area we also used it for Modeling and Presentation

Custom standardizations (I think you will find this common among your responses)

Advantages - easier to edit drawings, make revisions, layout drawings, collaborate with others in office and consultants
    Disadvantages - same as others and the loss of neat clean drawings. I have to teach each new user I have encountered that clean drawings are easier to read. examples: layout of drawings on the sheet, alignment of text, spacing of text, location and spacing of dimensions, ... they seem like minor things but when put together you have a nicer presentation) But that is why I get the big bucks, hahahaha
    Last edited by StephenJ; 2006-01-31 at 07:16 PM.

Login to Give a bone

G Kenyon, Detroit, MI. Design Engineer - retail fixtures.

12 years

We have industrial designers who use graphics programs to generate conceptual renderings. CAD & I come in when the customer wants to buy some & its time to actually figure out how to make it.

ASME Y14.1

We make too many design changes, so I would hate to think of the idea of executing all those changes on board.

Login to Give a bone

Doug Draper; Arlington, Texas; CAD technician

About eight years, with a few breaks between.

Conceptual figures and exhibits, analyze different options and configurations, technical graphics for various reports, reference drawings, and construction documents.

If the client does not have standards to follow, I have my own, internally developed CAD standards. It’s loosely based on A/E/C CADD Standard (Release 2.0, September, 2001) published by The CADD/GIS Technology Center, U.S. National CAD Standard, and my own experiences and biases.

We incorporate many of the graphics into reports, which are MS Word documents, and it’s relatively convenient to incorporate electronic graphics. Changes to plans are quick, accurate, precise, and clear on drawings. Unfortunately, some changes are relatively minor and it might seem more efficient to simply hand-sketch onto paper. Pros and cons of using CAD is a whole ‘nother volume of books.

Login to Give a bone

Talking Re: Questions for school assignment

Melanie Stone, Missouri, Facilities Management

6 years professionally 11 years total

End user... use cad file to manage a medical facility's building systems

use home grown cad standards, layers are based on AIA short-format

easy to distribute information across the facility to the engineering, maint & construction personnel. saves repetition, keeps many things updated using x-refs.
    only disadvantage is poorly done drawings being unreliable or difficult to use... otherwise, I don't know what they did before we had cad here.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast