Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AutoCAD VS MicroStation...

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation AutoCAD VS MicroStation...

I am a Cad Operator using cad for long time and loving it.
    I have given a project to compare Auto CAD with Bentley/Microstation? I have pretty slim info about Bentley/Microstation.
    Please If you can Pass me Few Leads Such as Some Great Advantages of Auto CAD VS Microstation.
    Really Appreciate
    Thanks

All AUGI, all the time thomas.stright's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD VS MicroStation...

You've really opened a can of worms on that subject....

I work in Both.... I prefer Autocad, But I have 8 years of Autocad experience and just a few months in MS V8.

You might get a better response by posting this question on a non-AutoCAD site, such as Cadalyst or cad depot....

I could stop if I wanted to michael.12445's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I've interviewed job applicants here, and though I've never used MicroStation, my impression is that people tend to like what they are most familiar with, and when they have to switch, they find the new application difficult, frustrating, and ultimately substandard because it doesn't behave as they would like it to. People can get almost religious about favoring one program over another.

So probably the answer is that the best program for your firm to use is the one which with your staff has the most experience and familiarity.

Michael Evans
    Togawa & Smith, Inc.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by thomas.stright
    You've really opened a can of worms on that subject....
    oooo.. don't get me started....

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

There is really very little that I dislike about Microstation.

The biggest being the whole 'limited' design plane and the
    nee to use Master Units/Sub-Units and Units of Resolution.

The other being that due to fewer users being skilled in it
    the total cost of ownership is higher, as the users generally
    demand a higher wage.

The things I like about it however far outweigh the above from
    an end-user stand point.

No need to use LISP or other programming options to have it
    perform many tasks that AutoCAD requires LISP or 3rd party
    applications to perform. (Think Text on,above or below a line or arc
    automatically) Or even creating and angle bisector, one command
    click click and done.

The ability to draw in real active multiple views in the model.
    Up to 8, and no real need to own dual monitors either if that
    is how you chose to operate it.

If and when one does become proficient and decides that they
    do need to program they simply use MDL and program their desired
    function in the native programming language of the application
    NOT the convoluted and obtuse world of AutoLISP.

They are a leader in developing CAD technology, think about this
    MS had and has XREF files since it's inception, whereas AutoDESK
    couldn't manage this function until R14.

True the learning curve for MS is steeper in the beginning than AutoCAD
    as one can not rely on being able to type in simple command strings and
    accomplish some measure of work with it.

Perhaps I am an exception to the rule; for regular CAD work I prefer
    MS although I conduct training and technical support services for
    AutoCAD, and the full line of AutoDESK Civil and Infrastructure products.

Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: AutoCAD VS MicroStation...

"mjfarrell" makes some valid points about MS ... but (knowing both softwares myself, too) ... the scaling or chaning working units for multiple details sucks! AutoCAD's paper space still rocks! Even with V8 ( the next version of MS) ... they still haven't developed this ... And V8's claim that it can handle AutoCAD files fine isn't totally true.

Especially when the DWGs are made from add-on softwares to AutoCAD. Custom fonts and custom linestyle are lost in V8. And plotting seems to be screwed up. You can't import CTB or STB files into V8 ....

Although (doing the test myself) in MS it is much faster to drawing up a plan from scratch versus doing it in AutoCAD. But ... I've found that modifying a plan is a bit more troublesome in MS than doing it in AutoCAD. AutoCAD has simpler modifying tools than MS, which makes it faster to modify. MS sometimes has too many options which slows an operator down ....

The 3D tools are definitely better in MS .. over AutoCAD ... ;(
    Aside from that ... I still favor AutoCAD just b/c of the alias file. (PGP)

Later guy. Good luck.
    ... SMILE ... the work will always be there, but you don't have to be there .... try again tomorrow.

Login to Give a bone

Where does one start. Microstation is a platform where AutoCAD is a drafting tool. There is not comparison really. Microstation is far superior than AutoCAD. It's 3D and Engineering program (multi-discipline) is decades ahead of AutoCAD. But at the same time the 2D is really just as easy to use. From the 2D side of things both programs will do the same tasks in much the same way. Most of the difference you will see is in the noun-verb vs verb-noun way of doing tasks. Both have keyboard functions, but AutoCAD still has to require key-in's to aid in many of it's functions where Microstation does not. Microstation is far easier to customize also. Both programs will do excellent 3D grapics and rendering. Big advantage of Microstion is that it virtually does not crash. I have crashes daily with AutoCAD and only one crash with Microstation in 15 years. Also the file size is much smaller in Microstation. Thus Microstation is much faster and smoother. I began with AutoCAD version 10 and have used all versions through 2012 and am fluent in both user interface and development of both programs. I transitioned into Mircrostion Version 4 and am fluent up to V8. I will admit, it is a challenge for an AutoCAD user to go to Microstation, but well worth the challenge.

On the issue of Microstation not having paper space. You can use Microstation in a similar way, but most of the customers really do not work in that fashion, so they never forced the development into that area. But the use and manipulation of reference files in far more superior in Microstation.

Is Microstation harder to use....perhaps in some ways, but it was designed as an engineering platform, not a drafting tool, so that is why it is more complex.

I should note that if you are doing 2D, one is a good as the other. Finding a local distributor and basic training I have to give to AutoCAD, as Microstation has too few and too far apart. That being said, the tech support of all users has to go to Bentley. You do not have to go through a distributor for help, you go directly to Bentley direct, and there is not limitations.

Both have their good points over the other in the way they operate. One function is easier to use in one program than another. You really need to look at what you are going to use it for.
    Last edited by jhamilton266703; 2012-03-06 at 09:15 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: AutoCAD VS MicroStation...

My opinion....MS blows!
    Been drafting over 25 years, working in AutoCAD for over 15 years, Both 2D and 3D. Have worked with Design Cad, Revit, Inventor and MicroStation V8. (as well as Accurender, VIZ Render and 3DS Max not that those apply)

After having some basic training and working with MS off and on for a few years, it still blows.

Maybe it's because I'm just used to using a superior Autodesk product, or maybe it's because of the industry I work in.

Maybe I need to more training and to work with it more, but we don't use it on a regualar basis so that's not a real option.

Can't get used to the way it does things, the units, the lack of paper space, the ugly text and line types, everthing.

Revit, a far superior and complex program to MicroStation was much easier to learn and work with...maybe because it was created by Autodesk and has the same "feel" as AutoCAD.

Of course.. this is just my opinion.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    Revit, a far superior and complex program to MicroStation was much easier to learn and work with...maybe because it was created by Autodesk and has the same "feel" as AutoCAD.

Of course.. this is just my opinion.
    Well... technically, it wasn't created by Autodesk.

Although, UI changes in both AutoCAD and Revit over the past few releases have introduced some common visual elements.
    Last edited by Wanderer; 2012-03-07 at 05:42 PM.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    Well... technically, it wasn't created by Autodesk.

Although, UI changes in both AutoCAD and Revit over the past few releases have introduced some common visual elements.
    Thanks for the clarification Melanie

Yea, that's sort of what I meant, the UI seems familier between Revit, and Inventor and AutoCAD (I use Classic AutoCAD not the Ribbon).

[continue rant]
    I use allot of command line alias' and Autolisp, script etc. in ACAD which makes my job much faster and easier. Most of this isn't really available in MS
    [/rant]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast