Thread: Constraint to unresolved reference

Login to Give a bone

Angry Constraint to unresolved reference

I always try to constrain sketches to axes but sometimes you can't I have to design some quite complex iparts & further into the development I have to make changes. Whenever I get the response 'constraint to unresolved reference geometry, my heart sinks, returning & amending the affected sketch it seems impossible to pursuade Inventor that there is no problem with the sketch. I can view constraints, remove the geometry causing the problem, constrain the sketch lines etc to new geometry, the lines are all black ie no unconstrained elements as soon as I return to the model the warning returns. the model is fine by the way complete & stable. In the end I usually have to completely delete the sketch elements project the necessary geometry again & reconstruct the sketch. Either that or ignore the red cross, something I find difficult to do!
    I think that sketches are the achilles heel of Inventor rather than developing more & more fancy stuff, going back to basics & creating a proactive sketch diagnostic & even say an auto repair or even a method of overriding the error message when the sketch is fine, working OK & producing the model element required. The present sketch diagnostic frankly is a waste of space & time it just does not pinpoint the actual problem & give you the tools to fix it or fix it automatically.

OK Rant over but I'm sure that I'm not the only person frustrated by sketch 'funnies' & the time wasted trying to fix them!

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Constraint to unresolved reference

Quote Originally Posted by Keith.Turner2 View Post
    I'm sure that I'm not the only person frustrated by sketch 'funnies' & the time wasted trying to fix them!
    I have not seen this behavior (in my work) can you attach a file that exhibits this behavior?

Login to Give a bone

The "'constraint to unresolved reference geometry" error crops up pretty regularly for me, too. It seems more likely to happen when I create design views and suppress/un-suppress subassemblies in my top-level assembly. I thought that Inventor was supposed to keep up with constraints even if the related parts and assemblies were suppressed. I've also noticed that sometimes a session will be error free (I routinely watch the red cross, run the "rebuild all" tool, and refresh frequently) and when I save, exit, and reload the same assembly again, there are errors. Why is this? Does Inventor do a better job of "wringing out" all the constraints upon reloading a saved assembly?

I don't have any examples I could upload because usually I don't stop working each day until the problem is cleared up. Also, it usually occurs in large assemblies and I don't think I'd be able to upload a 520 meg file for anyone to look at.

It's frustrating, to say the least.

Rick

Login to Give a bone

Try this Mill Stand ipart it has errors but has produced the model I wanted, not a part for manufacture, the mill it is part of was built in 1933 I have a few more changes to make to the lower part of the casting but I have got to wait until our production do a roll change to measure the relevant parts.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

No Response from our usual experts?! I attached a file but it's gone very quiet!

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Keith.Turner2 View Post
    No Response from our usual experts?! I attached a file but it's gone very quiet!
    I didn't see that you finally attached an example. This is an interesting example for instruction purposes as it is generally good - but flawed technique. If I ever get around to writing a book this one might be a good example to include.

I am a bit busy for the next month or so, but I will gradually deconstruct this one as time permits.

Quick observations - Sketch1 is too complicated. Replace multiple dimensions with geometry constraints. Same principle carries through entire design tree.

Very symmetrical part - I suspect there should be only two mirror features.

Create sketches as much as possible on origin planes and do not project from solid features unless required. I suspect all sketches could be created before any solid features and without creating any workplanes.

Bits of this look like what I call "wack and hack" method. (that big hole should be last)

Fix problems before moving on. There is sick geometry (pink) early on - but a lot of features after the sick geometry? I hope you did not simply ignore and plow ahead, but rather this was a result of an edit you made in the history.